Monday, 8 April 2013

Gems

I'm doing poetry this month, in case you missed the first post.

I Love October


A smile that will never brighten up the world,
a child that will never in a pink frock twirl.
Because she will never open her eyes 
to this world brimming with immortal cries
of superiority, discrimination,
male chauvinism.
She would never feel the summer sun,
or dance in the sudden rain.
Because she was looked at 
with a condescending gaze.
Smothered before she could even breathe.
Suffocated by the hands that reek
of selfish love.

The son might be the apple of the eye,
But the daughter is the beat of the heart.

It is estimated that more than 10 million female fetuses have been illegally aborted in India. Researchers for the Lancet journal based in Canada and India stated that 500,000 girls were being lost annually through sex-selective abortions. 
Apologies for not getting back to you guys for the last two days. I promise I'll visit back today. :)

25 comments:

  1. Okay, freaky coincidence. I fell behind my schedule and completed my F post just a while ago. Then I come across your post and ta da - same theme! :)

    I love this! So beautiful and touching. In particular, the last two lines were outstanding. It's outrageous that girls have to suffer discrimination even before they're born.

    P.S. Thanks for the follow and comments :)

    Zainab @ Metamorphosis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even freakier. I commented something along the same lines on your post. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yikes, typo. "Then I came across your post..."

      *sheepish smile*

      Delete
    3. Ah no worries. Been there. ;p

      Delete
  2. This struck my heart. It took me back to the time of the prophet (pbuh). Thank you for the touching and beautiful words! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. such deep emotion in each poem!
    wonderful, woeful words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very deep. I went back and read it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful. I'm so grateful for being born in a family that appreciates girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an emotional poem, especially those last two lines.

    A to Z Participant
    Cherie Reich - Author and Surrounded by Books Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so disturbing and emotional. Those last two lines really tugged at my heart. Wonderful poem.

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully done....I am also doing poetry for the A-Z challenge. Best of luck.....not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I'm glad that this poem evoked the very responses that I wanted to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very thought provoking poems, beautifully written. Lovely idea for the A to Z.Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
  11. The saddest thing about that poem? It is entirely true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful poem and I love the picture as well. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sad, and yet so beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The poem sent chills up my spine, you have a way with words to discuss a horrible situation. I knew historical that was true, but thought people had become more enlighten and am shocked and sad to learn the barbaric situation continues.
    A-Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful words, and definitely one of the inherent evils of this world. Where has our value for life gone?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love poetry! And you sure know how to weave them words. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey Sania..
    thanks for stopping by and giving me the opportunity to land here..
    lovely space u have :)

    Just loved the concluding lines !!
    hope to see each other more.. Take Care

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...